New Orleans IT ServicesCall: (504) 849-0570

Why Is End-User Security Essential to Maritime Operations?

Navigating the high-tech tools involved in maritime operations can be almost as difficult as finding your way across a stormy sea. Let BIOS Technologies shine a light and provide a safe harbor against hackers that take advantage of negligent or untrained end-users.

Best End-User Security for Maritime Operations in New Orleans

Navigating the high-tech tools involved in maritime operations can be almost as difficult as finding your way across a stormy sea. Let BIOS Technologies shine a light and provide a safe harbor against hackers that take advantage of negligent or untrained end-users.   

The digital age has long been a part of improved maritime operations in New Orleans and elsewhere. Along with technology and capability, however, onboard computer systems are now subject to cybersecurity attacks that can impact the functionality of the vessel and put everyone on board at risk.

When malware infects onboard computer systems, it impacts cargo management, electronic charts for navigation, and other critical functions. Because of the potential harm, vessel operators should take steps to protect their networks against hackers.

Another crucial area for improvement involves effective end-user security. Hackers can and do target end-users who try to bypass security controls. Their goal is probably to steal data rather than disrupt onboard systems, but the result is the same.

What Are the Statistics on Maritime Cyber Security Risks?

In the IHS Markit Maritime Cyber Security Survey 2018, respondents identified their major concerns, as follows:

  • 86% were concerned about the vulnerability of their navigation systems regarding cyber attacks
  • 46% expressed concern regarding vessel safety systems
  • 39% worried power systems would be targeted
  • 33% thought cargo control systems might be compromised by hackers

Here’s what the ratio really looks like. About 93% of cyberattacks target IT systems, leaving 7% affecting operational and navigational systems.

What About Phishing Attempts on End-User Devices?

Half of the security incidents originated with phishing emails, and 30% of those were spear-phishing emails. In 44% of attacks, malware was in play. Other incidents included:

  • Credential theft – 28%
  • Ransomware – 23%
  • Man-in-the-middle attacks – 21%

Company data, such as payroll and personnel information, was taken in 19% of attacks. Only a fraction of attacks impacted operational control or resulted in cargo theft.

In short, maritime companies face the same threats as onshore companies and organizations. This is important when strategizing cybersecurity plans and allocating budget dollars to the right systems.

Where Can You Find Secure Marine Connectivity Solutions?

Modern vessels are dependent on computer technology but also need to be protected from bad actors. That’s why BIOS Technologies implements robust tools to ensure secure marine connectivity. We concentrate on the following priorities:

  • Detect malware through continuous monitoring of all connected endpoint devices.
  • Use contextual data to detect unknown attackers.
  • Use sophisticated analysis to detect and track anomalies that point to a possible attack.
  • Screen out phishing attacks such as attachments before they get to the user’s inbox.

BIOS Technologies engineers and consultants know how to block access to malicious websites and domains. This is an effective way to prevent malware from linking up with command and control servers on the attackers’ side.

Tighter control over unauthorized applications can also prevent the risky behavior of employees from impacting systems on the vessel.

Let us explain how our solutions enhance email and web security. We monitor alerts and reports continuously from a remote Network Operations Center in order to detect threats quickly. Ongoing management and system maintenance keep the network and devices performing optimally while also maintaining security.

Why Choose BIOS Technologies?

BIOS Technologies serves maritime clients in New Orleans. We put security controls in place that provide high performance and availability along with built-in cybersecurity management tools.

Navigating the high-tech tools involved in maritime operations can be almost as difficult as finding your way across a stormy sea. Let BIOS Technologies shine a light and provide a safe harbor against hackers that take advantage of negligent or untrained end-users.

contact info